You’ve heard folks refer to triple digit temperatures in states like Arizona or Texas as a “dry heat.” Well, if you know anything about differences in humidity between the Southwest and New York, they are not wrong – but it’s still hot! We New Yorkers get stuck with not only hot weather, but that darn humidity.
“If this sticky feeling leaves you feeling icky and uncomfortable, it may be time to consider a dehumidifier system for your home,” says Bob Bellini, President of Varsity Home Services. “Not only will it make your home more comfortable, but there are a bunch of other benefits like reducing mold growth to help your allergies.”
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends the humidity level in your home to be between 30-50%. Any level over 60% can lead to the following:
- Musty odors
- Mold and mildew growth
- Active dust mite populations
- Allergy symptoms
- Mildew smell on furniture and clothing
- Stuffy and clammy air
- Sticky or sweaty floors
- Condensation on pipes
- Wet stains on walls or ceilings
Sometimes it’s not enough to rely solely on an air conditioner, a room dehumidifier or central air to manage humidity. While these can be effective, they each have limitations. Here are some basic benefits of a whole house system:
- One Unit Covers it All – A dehumidifier can work in conjunction with your existing ductwork. It can run independently or in conjunction with your HVAC system.
- Custom Sizes – Whole house dehumidifiers vary in size to accommodate large homes, small homes, apartments and townhomes.
- Efficiency – Whole home units can be four times more energy efficient than room dehumidifiers. They are quiet too. Varsity offers Energy Star rated systems to maximize energy savings.
- Dual Use as Air Purifiers – In addition to dehumidifying your home, units that also filter and purify the air are available. Call us today to explore the options.
- Reduce Allergy Triggers – Dehumidifiers reduce humidity levels, making your home less hospitable to allergens such as dust mites, mold, and mildew.
- Reduce Odors – Mold and mildew cause odors that leave a musty smell.
- Clothes Dry Quicker – Eases the strain on your dryer and makes clothes smell better.
- Food Lasts Longer – Breads and cereals will remain fresh longer.
- Less Dusting! – The cleaner of the house will love this! A dehumidifier helps reduce dust – resulting in dusting less often!
- Ease the strain on your HVAC System – Your HVAC will run more efficiently when the air in your home is less humid. When the system cools air and removes moisture, it must work harder.
Varsity is always striving to help our customers live more comfortable lives. With our HVAC and plumbing services, in addition to maintenance contracts, we’ve got you covered. Reach out to the Varsity team today to see how we can help you.